Home Sports WEXFORD SET TO MAKE MANAGEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT ‘THIS WEEK’

WEXFORD SET TO MAKE MANAGEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT ‘THIS WEEK’

30
0
SHARE

 

Wexford FC managed to garner some crumbs of comfort from what has been a difficult season when overcoming Athlone Town 2-0 in their SSE Airtricity League First Division game at Ferrycarrig Park on Friday evening.

Seánie O’Shea, who has helped to steer the ship since the departure of Damien Locke in July, said although the Slaneysiders weren’t at their best, the victory was a real positive at the end of a trying campaign.

“It’s nice to end with a good result. We deserved to score a couple of goals in the first-half but I thought Athlone should have scored as well. I thought the lads were a little bit flatter compared to last week in Galway, but we got the result and that’s what matters,” he said.

O’Shea was full of praise for the players that continued to give their all throughout the season, despite the difficult circumstances.

“It’s been a tough season for the club, but we have 17 players in the dressing room and they’re good guys. They’re here at the end of the season and if we can add seven or eight fellas to the squad we’ll be okay for next season. When you look at the young lads that came into the team for the second half of the season, they’ve got game time now and that will stand to those guys, playing League of Ireland football at 16 or 17 years of age.

The next big step for Wexford FC is to get a new manager through the door and O’Shea says supporters won’t have too much longer to wait before finding out who will be given the task of moving the team forward.

“We had great interest in the job. We had a short list of seven and we’ve interviewed those. Hopefully we’ll be making an announcement this week. We were actually hoping that we could announce it tonight but there was no point in trying to rush it, but definitely by this time next week we should be able to say who our new manager will be,” he said.

Whoever is at the helm next season, O’Shea believes that they will have a strong foundation to build from and that the only way is up for the south east club.

“I think the lads as a group are going to have a night out next weekend and I just told them to go out and enjoy themselves and anyone that’s in the dressing room tonight hopefully they’ll all be back next year, with some new faces. It’s a clean slate and we’ll go again,” he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here